Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a new balance 1500 treadmill. It powers on but is

Customer Question

I have a new balance 1500 treadmill. It powers on but is fully extended in incline and no programs will start.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question it sounds like the console has failed. But it would be good to be able to check it. Is this a new treadmill or have you had it for a while and it just quit on you?

The way you would test the console is to find the wires coming into the base which you would have to take the top of the base off for, and then see if using the controls on the console cause a variation in the voltages of the corresponding wires. That would be the right way to check it. However, based only on what you describe, it is almost certainly the console and I would feel confident suggesting that as the problem without you having to try to test the voltages. There are other failure modes of these treadmills that would present in different ways. But this is the way a console will present. So what it would require is replacing the console which is generally a very expensive part. Doesn't happen to be under warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I continued to work on the problem and have some additional information to share.
After making certain the console cable was properly seated on both ends, I was able to get the treadmill to operate. The incline is still stuck at 12% and doesn't respond but it now appears that the problem might be a bad console cable (??) Not sure how to get another one if those to test but I might be able to verify continuity with my handy meter. What do you think?

since the treadmills have not been made in a while I this company, the cable will probably be hard-to-find. However, what you are saying is sound. This is a possible place for a problem, although it's very uncommon. But if this is what you've found by moving the wires around, then it's difficult to say it something else. You can test with your meter the output of the wires where they come out of the console into the base. When you use the buttons the voltages should vary on those wires. and even easier as you suggest is to verify the continuity because then you will have to know what voltages should be coming out. The only other possibility is a back consul but that is also very uncommon. I think checking the continuity of the wires is wise and will be the quickest way to get to the solution. So yes I agree with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll keep checking and maybe even build a new cable. Can't be that tough.Thanks!

If you have to, that would actually be pretty easy.