Neil, Technician
Experience:  NZCE Electronics and Computing
15873252

My nordic track treadmill starts then stops. It seems like

Customer Question

My nordic track treadmill starts then stops. It seems like it is trying to start but then the motor does not spin the belt.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Nordic Track T5.7 treadmill. I have tried unplugging all the various cables to and from the motor and control board. Also, when I purchased this used treadmill the bottom buttons on the display were not working (Start, stop, slow, fast) therefore, I am unable to get the treadmill into troubleshooting mode. My other buttons work, so normally, to get the machine to start, I would press the 1-10 speed button. The incline works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, on the control board, I get a solid light when powering on the machine. However, when I start the belt, the light blinks quickly 4 times then goes off and continues to repeat this sequence.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

It sounds like a speed sensor problem.. If the belt starts to move then stops then the motor control board is not seeing the speed sensor. Check close to the front roller, there should be a sensor close to the roller (but not touching it) sensing magnets on the roller as it goes past, check this sensor is close to the roller and follow the wiring back to the bottom board...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried adjusting the speed sensor earlier but this didn't seem to help. I also checked to see that the sensor wire is properly connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I tell if the machine is recognizing the speed sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a picture of the speed sensor
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

That isn't the speed sensor or if it is it certainly isn't right... There are no magnets on the roller nor any sort of optical sensor

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Page 24 of your manual shows the speed sensor... It should be on the left side as you stand on the unit facing forward or on the right if looking at the front of the unit...

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Your manual attached

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any luck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.. But I did realign the speed sensor according to the manual. But no luck. A few times I got the belt to run really quickly for a few seconds then stop, the display went blank.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Not a good sign.. Could be a faulty Motor Control board, check the cable from the sensor all the way back to the motor control board, often there is a little light that flashes as the magnet goes past... Unplug and reconnect this lead...