J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

My SportsArt 1080 treadmill has no lights on it ie there is

Customer Question

My SportsArt 1080 treadmill has no lights on it ie there is no 0.00 to start. It has worked really well for 10 years. It has only needed a fuse changed in its life so far. I tried that again as I had a spare, but it didn't help. A sports shop over the phone said it probably needs a new motherboard. How do I get one?
Also years ago in moving house it lost the red stop cap over the emergency stop press.
Can I order these parts? I am in Australia and happy to pay for the parts and shipping.
Thanks
Heather Lyttle
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The problem may not be a 'motherboard' - usually a treadmill doesn't have such a thing, really. It has a motor controller board, and a board inside the console perhaps (which is usually replaced by replacing the whole console which is pretty much the same cost anyway, and far easier to replace.)
Then there is a power board, which in this sort of case is even more likely to be the problem.
But first, check the power:
1. is it plugged in to a good outlet? plug it in to an entirely different outlet, and test the one it was plugged in to.
2. switch it Off, at least once, for about 20 minutes. Look near the power switch and the place where the power cord enters the treadmill, for a button to press (that is not the emergency stop button.) If there is a circuit breaker button that has popped out, press it back in again (while the power switch is still Off.)
3. when you switch it On again, please observe simultaneously, carefully, as to whether there is even a brief flash of life, lights, anything, at the moment when you turn it On again.
After that... unfortunately SportsArt's website does not list a model # ***** treadmill, so yours is too old for them to offer a parts list or other information.
In fact no one else seems to list the 1080, though it is sometimes mentioned. I presume that your treadmill is fairly old.
I think that a similar model has a 'Drive Board', but its parts list mentions and shows no other board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,
Yes power is getting through as it beeps in the normal way when turned on. There is a line lit up accross the reading panels where normally there are numbers. The ability to raise and lower the treadmill base- it usually tilts up if required for cleaning underneath or moving it, doesn't work either. Turned off and on again, and used different power point to plug it into. Now what?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds as if the console might need replacing. But that diagnosis is not certain.

Since my own resources have to some extent failed in this case, and my diagnosis is (of necessity I think) failed, I have only two courses left in all fairness:

1. I can (if you will tell me your region, by zip code or by nearby town/city and state) research nearby repair co.s working on SportsArt treadmills, that you might contact. An experienced repair-person might be needed just to get a right diagnosis of this problem.

or

2. I could Opt Out of this case, and hopefully a treadmill Expert here with more to offer than what I have already said, might pick up the case.

Let me know which (or, both) of these you would prefer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I would like to talk to someone who has repaired the sports art treadmills - the 1080 is about 10 years old. I live in a country town in northern West Australia, (Port Hedland, post code 6721) which does not have an electronic repair shop. I would have to take the motor controller board to Perth the next time I went south to Perth( our main city in Western Australia- 2 hours by jet) I am not sure how to remove it. Do I need an electrician for that? Perhaps it's best to pass my query on to another person. Thanks for your help. Heather
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. It sounds as if you are quite remote from possible repair firms in Perth. But since you mainly wish to be connected to someone who can be more specific about Sports Art machines, I have Opted Out - not cutting of communication, if you post I can still answer - but opening the case to other Experts.
I can still look up service firms in Perth WA for you. Let me know after a day or so (if you get no other advice from other Experts in 24 hours or so) if you'd like this. Thanks.
Note to Experts: An Expert specifically acquainted with the Sports Art model 1080 treadmill is requested by the customer.
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, after you lost the red stop cap, did the unit still work correctly? If not this may be all you need to get it running which is the safety key or magnet.

Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.

If it still had worked fine after losing that cap, then it sounds like your console has gone bad and needs to be replaced, but since its such an old machine it doesn't look like parts are even available.. Most treadmills only last about 8-10 years regardless of use so it may be time for an upgrade unfortunately . If its just a safety key issue let me know and we may be able to work around it to get it running again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. No it's been working fine since losing the cap. That was lost about 7 years ago.. Still able to use it as a stop and reset it. Ok- so the console might be faulty- is that the electronic board just in front of the treadmill, or the contol panel above the handle bars?
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Well that stinks that means your console is bad. That's the upper board by handle bars with all the buttons. There isn't anyone who repairs there boards unfortunately. Your only bet would be to try eBay or try to find a used working machine somewhere you could take the Parts off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for your input.
Heather