J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

I have a nordictrac c2155. The screen goes on when the key

Customer Question

I have a nordictrac c2155. The screen goes on when the key is attached. The machine does not respond when the buttons are pressed. There is only a beeping sound when they are pressed. Besides this, there is a continuous beeping every 5-10 seconds.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please email correspondence to***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine is a treadmill
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Such beeping and non-response of the treadmill to the controls may mean that the console (or control panel) has become partially disconnected from the rest of the machine, that it controls.
Turn it Off.
Remove the console from the mountings, remove the back cover of the console, remove and then put back on, correctly and firmly, the ribbon cables that go to the console from the rest of the machine - one cable at a time, in case you might forget how they go back on or in what order or orientation! - and then put the console back cover back on, back onto the mountings, and then follow this procedure (if the console will work well enough to allow it):
- with the key not in the machine, press SPEED+ and STOP at the same time and hold them both down.
- attach the key, release the buttons.
- press STOP, once.
- press SPEED+ until it reaches 85
- if max speed is 10 mph then it should read around 9.8 to 10.2 or so.
Let me know how it goes, and if it fails again, let me know. If it is fixed, please rate my Answer - or Reply to me letting me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that I'm reattaching the console entity?
If I open it and it all seems to be attached what should I do then?Also, do you have a visual guide for what your telling me to do?Thank you.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you're disconnecting the console entirely. If it seems to be attached, then it probably isn't. That's the point of 're-seating' cables, by detaching their connectors, then re-attaching them firmly... to make sure that they are not disconnected, or poorly connected due to the slow oxidation of meal (often, semi-invisibly) over time. I have no visual guide. But, looking for one... I find this: http://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/diagram/13587 which shows how the console (part # *****) is mounted, more or less. Parts # ***** and 101 seem to be the wire harnesses that are relevant, though there may be one or two that are simply not shown for whatever reason. Then there's this too: http://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/diagram/8322 which shows the frame, though probably nothing relevant to what I instructed you to do. I'm not sure that either diagram shows the wire harness or connectors that you are supposed to detach... because taking the back cover off the console unit is not a usual operation. It's simply speaking, one that is unusual but could help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was successful with finding the screws and subsequently taking them out to reveal under the console. I'm not able to have full access as there is a tie that is holding a thick wire in place whereby not allowing me to pull the cover off more. I do see many wire connections with some wires that are soldered in place.What should I do from here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually was able to maneuver the console to reach all wire connectors and took them out and place them back in.
Was that all you wanted me to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops. was dealing with the front of the console which is loosened from the back of it. Is this what you had in mind?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
So long as the connectors are into the console's main board or card, and come from the rest of the machine, that's what is being aimed at. And - note - the power must be Off when you do the re-seating of the connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reconnected the wires and followed your original instructions to press speed + stop together and then put in key....
Still the same response.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I regret having to say that I have no further advice to offer, so - since I cannot offer a phone call either, myself - I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category.
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Your console has shorted out and needs to be replaced. You can order a new one at www.fitnessrepairparts.com or www.treadmilldoctor.com.
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Its very common on these box store treadmills, Regardless of use and age the parts go bad frequently. If you choose to order the console i can help you install the new one. Depending on how they ship the new console you may just be able to unscrew a few bolts and the main wire harness and plug in the new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A console is like $450. Don't think it's worth it. Are you sure that this is the issue?
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it's usually not worth it with these machines. There is not much to them, if it randomly beeps like that it's a sign something went wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you recommend ?
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
As far as a replacement Treadmill? Life Fitness. Precor. Landice. Vision Fitness. True Fitness. Anything you get from a box store or infomercial is is all the same low Quality stuff. Pay a Little more for a Quality unit and it will last longer. Also they have better Support for their products
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How high do I need to go. Is $1200 say, get me something pretty good?
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Well to give you an idea, treadmills run from 399.00 at Walmart to 9500.00 for top of the line.. if you plan on doing any running then you would want a Little heavier duty. I'm from ny and a good Treadmill with a 5 year Warranty will run you right around 2k. You may be able to find something cheaper in your area. Hop on Google and see what Fitness stores are close. If you live in a remote area you may have to order online. Just make sure you don't buy a refurbished or re manufactured.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Are the higher end Nordic Trac something to consider?
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
No they are all made by the same company. Nordic track. Pro form. Gold's gym etc. They are all made by icon health and Fitness. They change the name depending what store it's going in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Sounds like I need to stick with the ones you mentioned earlier.
It would be nice if they would waurentee their part for 3-5 years.
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Yea you get what you pay for in this business. Some Fitness companies also offer 0% financing as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Doing some research, I saw other companies such as Sole, Horizon and some others.
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Also box store brands...what's your zip code? I'll see if I can find a Fitness store near you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
08701
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
I found ocean Fitness, but not really sure what they carry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
It seems that the brands you mentioned are really pricey.
I'm willing to go up to $2500. What do you say about a Yowanza Datona Plus?
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Never heard of them. You can get a life Fitness t3 or Precor 211 for that price. I believe the life is 5 year Parts and Precor is 7 year