Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have an Ironman Achiever elliptical which has been making

Customer Question

i have an Ironman Achiever elliptical which has been making noise from the left handrail assembly- tried to put silicone in to help but still loud noise with each revolution.... is there an easy fix?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I think the answer is simple: If the noise - likely a squeak or squeal type noise? or a scraping noise? - is periodic as a part of the machine revolves, then it is caused by either
1. rubbing / friction
or
2. a loose part, periodically going to the maximum of its looseness-range, so to speak.
So lubrication, even with silicone lubricant, may not cure this. The thing to do is, locate a part that is loose, esp. a fastener. Tighten it up again! with a lock-washer, if needed, to keep it from loosening up again.
But it might be a part that is bent or out of alignment too. You may have to take the outer case off, and operate it (carefully!*) that way briefly, in order to find out what is going on.
(*don't get anything loose - including pet's tails or paws - caught in the works!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is more of a grinding sound but does not really sound like metal on metal, and the vibration, sound seems to come from that one arm at the joint- was wondering if they have have bushings/ ball bearings in the joint that might have gone bad- next step is to take that part off , which means taking apart machine, to further diagnose.... I was hoping to get expertise as far as that particular mavhine, not a generic answer...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If there is a bushing in the joint, putting any kind of grease or oil lubricant on it would make it deteriorate still further, and not improve it at all. In fact, if there is a bushing in the joint, it may need replacing, quite simply. (Even if the replacement wears out eventually also.) If there were ball-bearings in that joint, lubrication might be necessary. I admit I have no expertise specifically for this machine, unfortunately. You may have to have a service professional do this job for you, a bit. But, before that, it would be advisable to consult your machine's manual, where it speaks of periodic lubrication. Apply that periodic lubrication according to the manual - and, if it doesn't mention lubricating that joint at all in any way, then all bets are off on your being able to repair it, even with my guidance and what information I can get on the machine... because something unusual is wrong, in that case, and nothing less than a repair professional for this brand of machine, and a bit of replacement of parts, would do for the problem. If you would prefer that I Opt Out of this case, opening it to others in this category, I will willingly do so if you mention it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was hoping there would be someone with expertise as to that machine... So if we can put it back to say that, that is pile be great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great- spell check is awful sometimes... Thx
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I comprehend spell-check produced mis-phrasing, don't worry. I have Opted Out, in favor, of someone who is experienced with Ironman Achiever ellipticals, esp. their mechanical problems.