Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

My Nordic track seems like the resistance is stuck on 10. It

Customer Question

My Nordic track seems like the resistance is stuck on 10. It won't change when I hit any other numbers
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.
This is a fairly common problem on the CX 980. What has happened is the resistance motor has failed the needs to be replaced. Here is a link to the replacement motor.
http://amzn.to/1S2MVAa
The resistance motor is what provides the resistance and when it stops working and get stuck on 10 that means it has gone to its default position. Please a me know if you still have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Michael,

Two questions for you. Can you send me instructions on how to replace this motor?

Also wondering (and I realize it's a guess) should I buy another used model for about $100 on Craigslist and take my chances for the same $100 investment. Although concerned about the motor burning out on that used model.

Thanks for your input on this.

There are not instructions that you can get ahead of time that show you how to replace it. Basically it is in the front middle attached to the upright. The part itself should come with instructions.
There is a much else that goes wrong with this bike so I would opt for the resistance motor. And that wouldn't be the answer I'd always give – depending on the cost of the part and the history I've had with a given model. In this model there isn't much that can go wrong in the one thing that does go wrong is the resistance motor. So I think you'll get more out of replacing the resistance motor then you would either spending the same money on a used replacement. I hope this helps.