Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

NordicTrack Treadmill handles have a strong static on its handles.

Customer Question

Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I suggest that the handles be grounded, to eliminate further static discharge shocks to the user.
However, if the treadmill is new, or if the shocks are severe and continuous, you should not do anything to the machine, aside from unplugging it and not using it, until a qualified servicer of Nordic Track equipment can look at the problem. If the shocks are severe and continuous, you might have a internal short or other similar problem, which could be life-threatening if such a condition were to exist.
You have said it produces a static shock on the handles. One thing to avoid, is wearing woolen clothing, which can build up abundant static esp. during dry-air weather. But if it persists even in that case, grounding the handles should help. Said grounding should be done by someone who is qualified to deal with such elementary electrical tasks.
Another possibility: in assembling, the grounding wire(s) has been left disconnected, or after assembly, the grounding wire has been broken or has come loose. Check for any wire, esp. a wire with green-colored insulation, that might be loose or unattached on your machine, and let me know if you find such a thing. And I will advise you further as appropriate.