J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

I have an e 1 error on my discovery treadmill how do I fix

Customer Question

I have an e 1 error on my discovery treadmill how do I fix it
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for entrusting me with your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert tab to reply to me in the reply box that pops open or, if the reply box is showing, just type your reply to me there. And please don't forget to rate me positive when we are finished. Let's get you fixed up so you can be on your way. The safety key is missing, or the key is not hitting the switch properly. You may need to remove the console and make sure the key is hitting the switch (if you have an insertable key). If you have a magnetic switch, the safety switch pickup on the underside of the console may have moved. These can be easily hot glued back in place. Turn off the treadmill, unplug it, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and put the safety key in place. Make sure the metal piece below the "emergency stop" sticker is still in place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry rusty but this does not fix the problem there is no key, key switch on this machine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have an image pro 2 threadmill and the console lights up but the motor or incline motor does not work what is the problem
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
I can only help you with one machine, for the other you need to open a new question.
Which do you want to work on? Both may need a part. If the discovery is it the same error number every time?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would prefer to work on the discovery treadmill first the one with the E 1 error
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
As I said I can only help you with 1 we will not be doing the other one at all. You need to open a new question for the other machine. What model discovery treadmill is it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know the model unfortunately I can send an image if it helps
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
We may be able to work on it without that, so far all I know is it does not have a safety key. Does it incline? Can you get to the motor? Can you get to the console wiring beneath the faceplate?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes should not be a problem
It has an on/switch near the ground at the front a red magnet on the console
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok the first thing we want to check is the wiring around the motor then.
Unplug treadmill from wall outlet.
Wait 60 seconds, allowing lower board to discharge built up energy.
Remove the motor cover. Verify that there are no lights lit on the lower circuit board.
Verify all wires are securely and correctly placed on lower circuit board.
Just in case reconnect any wires you see, there is sometimes a diagram inside the panel that shows where they go.
Put motor cover back on. Plug the treadmill in and test it.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ppreviously done tgat and the treadmill starts but cuts out at speeds in excess of 4 kph
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Have you done anything else? Please tell me everything you have done so we do not repeat anything.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is all I have done
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok what you are describing sounds like it could be the RPM sensor.
Unplug treadmill from wall outlet. Wait 60 seconds, allowing lower board to discharge built up energy.
Remove motor cover. Verify that there are no lights lit on the lower circuit board.
Verify distance between RPM sensor wire and front roller pulley.
They should be 2-4mm apart.
If sensor is too far away, loosen the two sensor bracket screws and slide the bracket closer to the magnet.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi rusty can you tell me how magnets should be on the motor wheel as I have repositioned the sensor bit it still makes no difference
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am not Rusty he opted out and I took over. My name is ***** ***** I mentioned before. Look at the power cord. Is the power cord pinched or crimped?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the power cord is not crimped as I said before it does run but cuts out above 4 kph
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok do not touch the magnets at all. There is one other thing we can test before replacing the motor. Unplug treadmill from wall outlet. Wait 60 seconds, allowing lower board to discharge built up energy.
Remove screws that hold the console electronics to the console housing.
From the top of the console, remove the console faceplate.
Reconnect all the cable connections you see here on both ends.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many magnets should be on the motor
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
They should be safety magnets they have nothing to do with your problem. Since it sounds like you did not try what I just sent and insist on touching the magnets even though I just said not to I will opt out.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try it but just asked a question You opt out because you dont have a clue what you are doing a useless scamming service run by stupid inept people
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the second treadmill (image) needs a new lower board, The first treadmill (discovery) may need a lower board or a motor. You say it runs fine until you hit 4kph? Will it run fine as long as you dont go above that speed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs for much longer but does stop after 60 mins ish but stops much earlier at higher speeds
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
have you ever lubricated the deck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't what do I lube it with and where
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well if its never been lubed it may need quite a bit of work, Your belt and deck is most likely worn out, which causes the motor and motor control board to work harder than normal. So your motor control board is the main problem now. You can try to lube the belt with %100 liquid silicone. which you can search online for any treadmill lube. You spray it under the walking belt starting from the front, spray under the belt and work your way to the rear. Then repeat on the other side. If lube makes no difference, then you need a motor control board. If the lube does help, it will only be temporary and you will need a new belt and deck.