Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

When i push start button i can feel motor surge then stop.

Customer Question

When i push start button i can feel motor surge then stop. The display reads walking speed but belt doesn't move. if i turn power off and let treadmill reset then push start button it will surge very fast then stop and it acts as described above. Healthrider 110T
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
How old is your Healthrider?
Also does the motor and belt sound normal during the surge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we bought it approx 4 years ago. and the belt sounds find. the motor just surges and stops. no obvious noise.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for that info.
When it surges, how long is the surge before it shuts off?
Also does the motor appear to be running at a higher rate of speed then it should?
Thank you for your patience as I need to know these details to help you effectively.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it surges for about 10 seconds. the motor revs very fast and then shuts off.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information.
does this do this even when no one is on the treadmill?
Also is your belt in good condition and not too loose?
I need to know this to make the correct diagnosis;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so I will tyr to clarify as best as I can. When treadmill is first powered on and start button is pushed the belt will surge up to about 7-10 mph for a few seconds. It makes no difference weather someone is on it or not, it will just surge then the belt will stop. the display will still read 1mph which is the quickstart setting but the belt will not move. If I then push stop button and exit workout or pull magnetic key and start over the treadmill belt will not move. I can feel the motor try to engage for a second but the belt will only move maybe 1 inch then nothing. Belt is in good condition, I havent had a problem with it until now. It is not worn on edges or miss aligned. I believe it is at proper tension. It's not a matter of the motor running and belt slipping but instead the console says the motor is running but it is not driving belt, not turning. Hope that helps explain a little better.:-)
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that.
You did a good job of explaining thank you again!
This is more than likely the speed sensor that has failed. Its not very expensive and easy to replace with just a few basic hand tools, I will assist you if you need help. No soldering required either;-)
The best place to get that speed sensor is Treadmill Doctor:
TOLL FREE 8am - 5pm Mon - Fri CST (###) ###-####
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me after rating at no additional cost until this problem is solved.
please be sure to give my answer a top-three rating.
It won't cost you anything to further to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost but you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you and have a great afternoon!
Please rate kindly at this time before closing this page;-)
Tech Michael