treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon

I have a schwinn 202 recumbant bike on which the resistance

I have a schwinn 202 recumbant bike on which the resistance level does not change despite the display indicator changing. What can I do about this?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  treadmilltech replied 4 years ago.
You can test the motor, by using a 9 volt battery - attach a wire to positive and negative side of the battery and then touch the yellow and blue wires of the motor.Let the motor run until it stops(if it does not stop in either direction, the potentiometer is bad and the tension motor needs repalced).Then switch the wires around and let it run the other direction. If it works both ways the motor is good. Then test the harness for continuity from the console to the motor. You will need to use a volt meter to check the continuity. If the wires check ok, you will need to check the voltage being supplied by the console through the blue and yellow wires when the tension buttons are pressed - it should be approx 6 vdc. If there is no voltage the console is defective and will need replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, but how do I get the pedal arms off? It looks like it may require a special tool?
It requires a bicycle crank puller which you can get at a local bike shop. I use a "park tools" brand puller.