treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
32169475

I have a proform 590 TL treadmill, probably 12-15 years old. My

Customer Question

I have a proform 590 TL treadmill, probably 12-15 years old.

My wife was using it and heard a "different" sound. The visible symptom was a tear on the ivory-colored "rear roller band". What I am calling the rear roller band (for want of a better word), is a thin, see-through 3/4"-wide, rubber "band" wrapping of the rear roller just below the edge of the belt on its right side.

After investigating, we thought the "rubber band" might just be frayed. But after 30 minutes of use, the belt shifted far to the left and begin tearing threads off the left side of the belt. Meanwhile the "rubber band" itself had traveled to the far right of the roller where it was distorted and depositing its scrapings on the floor below.

What do I need?
- the name of the rubber band
- what do I need to replace? the rubber band, something else, also?

Thank you for your help.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  treadmilltech replied 3 years ago.
The shifting of the belt sounds like the rear roller endap has broken through and allowed the rear roller bolt to come through and shift the belt. You would need to replace the rear endcap to correct he belt issue. Unfortunately these are no longer available. So this link sells repair kits to fix the broken endcap issue. Here is a link to a blow-up diagram of your treadmill. You should be able to locate the other part you said may be bad. I believe it may be a rear roller guard.
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry. I misspoke when I described the problem on Monday. I used the word "rear" when I probably should have used the word "front". By "front", I am hoping that we mean the end of the treadmill directly below the control panel. So here goes again.

My wife was using it and heard a "different" sound. The visible symptom was a tear on the ivory-colored "front roller band". What I am calling the front roller band (for want of a better word), is a thin, see-through 3/4"-wide, rubber "band" wrapping of the front roller just below the edge of the belt on its right side.

What do I need?
- the name of the rubber band

Thank you for your help.

If you look at the link I gave you it has the exploded view of your unit.The part you are describing should be there. If it isn't I am not sure what it is. I don't know of any clear rubber band items on this treadmill. If it is the drive belt you are referring to and it is moving you will need to replace the front roller.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not the drive belt.

The clear rubber band item was originally on the front roller at the far right edge of the walking surface. Just under the walking surface.

I cut it off when I saw it had migrated to the far right edge of the roller. Because the walked surface had shifted far to the left and was cutting a hole in the plastic edge.

Don't see on diagram. But diagram is confusing.

Thanks for your help.

I know what you mean now. It is called a roller sleeve. It is needed to keep the walking belt straight on the older models. Here is a link for a replacement. They aren't listed on the parts diagram because they come with the front roller.