treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon

I have a New Balance 5500 exercise bike. When I plug it in

Customer Question

I have a New Balance 5500 exercise bike. When I plug it in I get an E1 error. What is this and how can I fix it?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  treadmilltech replied 5 years ago.
Check the reed sensor also known as the speed sensor. It is located near the flywheel. It is mounted to the frame and looks like a small black tube with a wire attached to it. What you need to do is to check if it is good by using an ohm meter.

1. Unplug the reed sensor,
2. Place the red and black leads on the two wires
3. turn the flywheel so that the magnet (should be mounted on the flywheel)passes by the sensor(make sure the sensor is only 1/8" away)
4. the meter should show the sensor opening and closing if it does not recheck the gap from the magnet and if it is good, replace the reed switch.
5. The other possibility is the magnet fell off the flywheel and in this case you will need to superglue it back in place.

Thank you for your question and I hope this helps.