treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon

My Pacemaster 870X keeps stopping and a number 5 shows up in

My Pacemaster 870X keeps stopping and a number 5 shows up in the Distance screen.Why is this happening?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  treadmilltech replied 5 years ago.
Does it stop at the same time every time?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, it does not stop at the same time. Sometimes it will not even get up to 0.01 miles per hour. Sometimes I can walk for 0.6 of a mile and it will stop or I can walk for more than a mile and it will stop.

The motor controller weakens over time because of the excessive amperage draw of the motor do to lack of lubrication (which wears the walk belt and walking deck).

Take an amperage reading of the motor it should be 2-3 amps with no one on it, with someone walking on it it should be around 6-12 amps. I would bet yours is elevated above 6-12 amps.The controller is dropping output because of the friction problem.

The first thing to try after testing the amperage is to lubricate the walking platform. Then retest and see if the amperage comes down and it doesn't shut off.

If it does then the next step would be to replace the controller. If the amperage still is up you may need to replace the walking deck and finally if after replacing the deck and controller, if the unit is still shutting down replace the walk belt.