Craig, Technician
Experience:  35 years troubleshooting all types of electrical equipment and appliances.

I have a Sears free spirit treadmill model c249-30608-1 and

Customer Question

I have a Sears free spirit treadmill model c249-30608-1 and i turn it on and it tells me to press program and then press start I do this and the screen shows the track and numbers count down and then about 5 to 10 seconds it just goes blank and an L5 code comes on the screen I don't know what happened to it we used it just a month ago.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

jaredpoz :

Hi there happy to help.

jaredpoz :

This problem is generally attributed to a faulty tachometer sensor.

jaredpoz :

However some people hav been able to fix this by simply moving it back into place and gluing it down.

jaredpoz :

There is a picture and explanation of this fix here.........

jaredpoz :

Hopefully this gets you going again,

jaredpoz :

jaredpoz :

If this answer helped you please click the ACCEPT button.

JACUSTOMER-2uhvfrii- :

I've tried this and it has not worked. This is not the answer I was looking for.

Expert:  Craig replied 5 years ago.
If the belt does not turn after a start is initiated, this will give you the fault you have. The motor is either not getting power from the controller, or the motor brushes are bad. Pull the small cover off the sides of the motor (could be two small round covers threaded in the hole) and inspect brushes. Must be 1/2" minimum. Brushes look like this: