treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
32169475

Our Proform Crosswalk 380 is about 4 yrs old and lately when

Customer Question

Our Proform Crosswalk 380 is about 4 yrs old and lately when my wife is using it the belt stops or slows down dramatically. I've tried tightening and then loosening the belt, but of little help.   Is the motor wearing out? Any suggestions? I've never lubricated anything or put anything on the roller.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  treadmilltech replied 4 years ago.
The motor controller weakens over time because of the excessive amperage draw of the motor do to lack of lubrication (which wears the walk belt and walking deck).

Take an amperage reading of the motor it should be 2-3 amps with no one on it, with someone walking on it it should be around 6-12 amps. I would bet yours is elevated above 6-12 amps.The controller is dropping output because of the friction problem.

The first thing to try after testing the amperage is to lubricate the walking platform. Then retest and see if the amperage comes down and it doesn't shut off.

If it does then the next step would be to replace the walking deck. If the amperage still is up you may need to replace the walk belt second and finally if after replacing the deck and belt, if the unit is still shutting down replace the motor controller.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's been years since I messed with voltage and/or amperage meters. (I'm not sure any of my neighbors have one -- I know I don't) You talk about friction problems and lubricating the walking platform? You mean put a lubricant on the belt or roller or both? Wouldn't that create more slippage? If not, what lubicant do you reccomend? You also mention the possibility of replacing the walking deck and maybe the belt. Wouldn't replacing the motor be cheaper and easier because after replacing the deck and belt I may as well buy a new treadmill. Last question, you mentioned replacing the "motor controller". It sounds like the controller is separate from the motor itself (ie: two units vs. one).
If you replaced the motor you are looking at ruining a new motor because the friction issue will not be corrected.You have to lubricate the top of the walking platform under the belt. You can purchase the lubricant at treadmilldoctor.com it is a special liquid wax.

If you were to replace the deck and belt it would be around $150 but the motor would be around $130 controller is around $86

Yes the controller is separate from the motor, it is what monitors the speed and motor amp draw.

you can purchase the parts you need from the site below:

www.iconservice.com
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. You've earned your pay.
no problem, thank you!