treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon

Treadmill Belt - belt wont move when I walk on it. Ive tightened

Customer Question

Treadmill Belt - belt won't move when I walk on it. I've tightened and loosened the belt can't get it right.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer!

Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer! Experts try to answer as quickly as possible, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by other customer, and how many Experts are online.

I’ll try to find an Expert to assist you. Thank you for your patience, and if you receive a satisfactory answer from your Expert, please click the green “Accept” button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done.

Expert:  treadmilltech replied 6 years ago.
* take nail polish or paint and place a mark starting on the front roller pulley and going onto the front roller metal shaft
* then try to walk on it and see if the white mark separates
* if it does then the roller is bad and would need replaced or tap screws placed through the pulley into the metal shaft to hold it in place
* if it doesn't separate then the drive belt is slipping and most likely will need replaced, although you could try spraying belt dressing on it to see if that would be a temporary fix.
* if neither of these is your problem and the walk belt is slipping then you will need to try to adjust the screws in the back of the treadmill through the end caps. these are allen wrench screws.
Tighten each one the same amount such as 1 full turn to start with.
see if you can now walk without it slipping.
If not then tighten 1-2 more turn on both sides.
If after 2-3 full turns it is not tight enough
I would recommend replacing the walk belt.

Hopefully this helps with your problem!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I haven't forgotten about you. This treadmill isn't even two years old so I having a hard time thinking I need to replace anything - yet. I'm sure it's in the adjustment of the belt but am having a hard time getting it just right. I think my terminology is what is throwing me - I think this is the key to knowing which way to turn bolts.

Right now it stops when I attempt to walk on it. Does that mean its too loose or too tight?

too loose. I repair these everyday and I would bet money the drive belt is slipping not the walkbelt. Do the test above and you will see which is giving you the trouble.

Edited by treadmilltech on 8/13/2010 at 12:18 PM EST