treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
32169475

I have a Proform 730CS treadmill. The onboard curcuit breaker

Customer Question

I have a Proform 730CS treadmill. The onboard circuit breaker kept tripping. We lubricated it, and then ordered a replacement circuit breaker.

Now, I don't know if this is related or not. 3 times now when I have been on the treadmill, once at 40 minutes, and twice at around 60 minutes, around 2.9 MPH, 3-4% incline, the main breaker to the house has flipped.

in this room on the same circuit, is a tv, dvd player, antenna, and air conditioner/hear all in one unit. Also a fan.

The power company recently replaced the transformer in our back yard.

if the treadmill is still causing this, why would it not flip the treadmill breaker/ Further, why wouldn't the circuit breaker to that room just trip, instead of the whole main breaker? Or do you think this is related to the transformer being replaced? The main breaker has never flipped before, or any other time but these three times whikle on the treadmill.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  treadmilltech replied 4 years ago.
A treadmill needs to be on a dedicated circuit. It is probably the air conditioner causing the problem. A treadmill can draw up to 12 amps peak and an air conditioner draws 15 amps therefore if either one spikes above this it will blow a 30 amp breaker and not the breaker on the treadmill. There is something else to test though because it was tripping its own breaker.

Take an amperage reading of the motor it should be 2-3 amps with no one on it, with someone walking on it it should be around 6-12 amps. I would bet yours is elevated above 6-12 amps.The controller is dropping output because of the friction problem.

The first thing to try after testing the amperage is to lubricate the walking platform. Then retest and see if the amperage comes down and it doesn't shut off.

If it does then the next step would be to replace the walking deck. If the amperage still is up you may need to replace the walk belt second and finally if after replacing the deck and belt, if the unit is still shutting down replace the motor controller.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know why before it would trip the treadmill breaker, but now it is tripping the main breaker? And I wonder why it does not do this all of the time. Sometimes i can walk on it, with the air still on, and it does not trip. Shouldn't it just trip the breaker to the room though, and not the main whole house breaker/ thanks for your help.
Because probably the treadmills deck is wearing out and it would peak over the allowed amperage. Then once the breaker trips it gets weaker and weaker so it takes less for it to trip.

Another solution can be the motor has a short and is tripping the main breaker
You can test the motor by doing the following:

# XXXXX a 12-18 volt dc battery fully charged(like one from a cordless drill)
# XXXXX sure it is fully charged, because it won't work if not
# XXXXX the + and - to the motor red is + and black is -
# XXXXX the motor turns slightly your motor is ok, if not the motor is bad and would need replaced
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more question:

There is a 220 outlet in this room. Can we buy an adapter like thsi one

http://www.steam-brite.com/store/electrical-adaptor-pi-3139.html

to conver the treadmill plug to a 220 outlet so that we can put it on a separate circuit?
As long as it cuts the 220 to 110 it would be fine.