Craig, Technician
Experience:  35 years troubleshooting all types of electrical equipment and appliances.

My Proform treadmill keeps shutting itself off after about

Customer Question

My Proform treadmill keeps shutting itself off after about 8-9 minutes. Does not seem to be consistent with any speed. Can you assist?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Check the 'speed sensor' down near the drive pulley and make sure it is secure and mounted at 1/8" away from pulley magnets. This controls the speed and could be out of adjustment or loose causing erratic speed and read out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Speed sensor is secure and measures 1/8" from the pulley. Problem is not with erratic speed or read out. Problem is with machine shutting itself off completely while in use.
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
When it shuts down like that, feel motor to see if it is hot. Did you check belt tension? If it is too tight, the motor will pull overload and shutdown. I thought when you said it wasn't consistent with any speed you meant unstable speed, sorry. Have you checked all the connectors to the control boards? Are there any faults at all? What so you do, just wait and it comes back to life?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All connections seem to be secure. Belt might be tight and may be the problem but I will need to check this out tonight. When it does shut down I wait a fewe minutes, reset the circuit breaker and it startes up again, only to shut down again.
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Now I have a better idea of what is going on. I think what I'd like you to do is back of the belt tension just slightly. This may be causing current overload to the drive and motor. Try that first and lets see what happpens....Craig
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will do and advise - thx.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Belt adjusted. Ran treadmill for 20 minutes (with nobody on it) with no problem. Got on the treadmill while running and it shut down after 5 minutes. It is obviously shutting down given the stress of someone on it. Next step?
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
What I want you do is this;
  • Note speed while running with no one on treadmill.
  • Step on and monitor speed closely. Watch for decrease in speed signal.
  • Note actual speed belt is turning. Try to determine if belt actually slowed or if the speed signal just changes.
I'm looking for a possible weak or bad motor or speed sensor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Speed signal (with nobody on it steady at 3.0

While on the machine, digital signal does not change. However, it does appear that the speed might vary a bit at times. This is only a perception and cannot be verified with any digital readout.

Belt does not visually appear to have actually slowed or changed prior to machine shutting down.

Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
After the motor shuts down did you feel the motor to see if it feels hot to the touch? Have you tried lubricating the deck? I wonder if the motor is pulling a bit high from high friction from the deck? Even if the Mfg. says 'maintenance free', you need to lubricate the deck. Have you done this?
Also, there is a way to measure the 'amp draw' to the motor. Is this something you think you coud do? Can you get a meter? Try the lube first and then we can do this test if you want to.

Edited by Craig on 11/17/2009 at 11:52 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ran the machine again for 20 minutes with no shut down. Motor cool to the touch. I then got on the machine and after about 5 minutes it proceded to shut down. Motor was luke warm but nowhere near hot. There appears to be NO lube fittings for the deck.
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
The lube goes ON the deck (between the deck and belt), which will greatly reduce the friction and motor load. I really think this is the problem. Do you have an exercise equipment shop near you? Go in a get some silicon base lube for the deck, they will have it. Here is a link on 'how to lube the deck'...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We will give this a try and hope for the best. Thx for your assistance.