Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

I shoot a browning A-BOLT MEDALLION in .270 Winchester. the

Customer Question

I shoot a browning A-BOLT MEDALLION in .270 Winchester. the bullet that it reall love is a hornady interlock 140 gr. btsp. from a lead rest it will shoot 1" and less grps a 100 yards. but at 200 yds. it still groups but 6-7 inches low. consistently. what could cause this?
JA: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?
Customer: I recently mounted a new leupold 4x12x50 vx-r scope with new mounting post and rings and boresighted rifle.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

The only explanation I have is that the bullet is traveling much slower than expected.

1. Have you chonographed that bullet to get the muzzle velocity? The velocity should be around 2940 fps at the muzzle. But the 7 inch drop sounds like it is going only around 2750 fps at the muzzle, 2560 at 100 yards, and 2380 at 200 yards.

Normally a 140 gr. .270 Win. doesn't drop 7 inches until it goes 300 yards and around 20 inches at 400 yards.

2. How long is the barrel on that rifle? Velocity drop by about 50 fps per inch on shorter barrels. The speed of 2940 fps, above, was based on a rifle with a 24-26 inch barrel.

If that did not help, please let me know.

Philip