Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

I have a Colt 1911. Serial # ***** ***** On the left side is

Customer Question

I have a Colt 1911. Serial # ***** ***** On the left side is the Colt manufacture's patents and dates. Between the patent dates and the ribbed slide grips is COLT'S PT.F.A. mfg co. On a second line just below that is Hartford CT USA. The Colt horse logo is between the ribs and the hammer on the slide. Below the slide on the frame in front of the trigger guard is UNITED STATES PROPERTY. The flaming bomb is on the frame between the trigger and the grips. On the other side is MODEL OF 1911 U.S. ARMY on the slide. The serial number is ***** above the trigger on the frame below the slide.
I checked Flayderman's Guide and, if I am reading it right, that serial number should be a Springfield manufacturer. Can you help me sort this out? Is this a true Colt manufacture or has some one fiddled with it? Thank you for any info you may have.
Fred Passant
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.I'm getting out my Model 1911 references - back in a few minutes.
Based on the serial number, that is indeed a Springfield Armory gun made round mid-1915. The markings on the frame are consistent with a Springfield Armory version. Many parts, such as the barrel, sear, hammer, slide stop, etc. are often marked with an "S", also. The rampant colt on the slide between the serrations and the hammer denotes a COLT slide that was made between 1912 and 1918. So you have a Springfield Armory frame from 1915 with a Colt slide made between 1912 and 1918. I hope this helps. Philip
If my answer is satisfactory, Fred, please rate the answer using the buttons provided. That will close out the question and also allow me to be paid - thanks! Philip