Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.

I was offered a Colt Ladies Deringer still in the box and never

Customer Question

I was offered a Colt Ladies Deringer still in the box and never shot.
1. Was there a law suit file on this model?
2. Is the barrel made of Zinc
3. Your opinion for small collector.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.Getting my references out - back shortly.
That is a Colt Fourth Model Deringer. It is actually a duplicate of the Third Model (designed by F. Alexander Thuer), which was made in the late 1800s through the early 1900s, with the exception of finish and the caliber (the Lady Deringer is chambered in .22 Short, while the Third Model was chambered in larger calibers). Many Lady Deringer guns are engraved and some have fancier grips. They were aimed at collectors and were chambered in .22 Short so they could be fired for fun. The Lady Deringer has a full gold plated finish with pearlite grips and was made between 1970-76 by Colt. The gun comes with a case. The gun is made from a zinc alloy (Zamak) and the barrel is not lined with steel, so it is not really recommended for shooting. I am not aware of any lawsuits for this model, but it is possible. Values run from $60 to $175, depending on condition, but lose value significantly if shot. If you enjoy collecting guns, especially as conversation pieces, this is an inexpensive one to get. I wouldn't expect the values to increase much, though. I hope this helps. Philip
If you are satisfied with my answer, please use the button provided to rate my answer. That will close out the question and also allow me to be paid - thanks! Philip