TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

Wondering what is causing a slight spacing between the slide

Wondering what is causing a slight spacing between the slide and the trigger guard area and what needs to be replaced.

What is the make and model of your gun?

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Its a POS lol. Its a jimenez(jennings/bryco)JA NINE 9mm
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jimenez JA 9mm

I have been looking at schematics and can't really see anything that would cause the gap besides a worn disassembly button or its spring. If the button does not move all of the way out to the "locked" position the slide can be loose.

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well the slide is definately on the looser side but i think the disassembly button is positioned correctly but i dont have another one of these to compare to. All that being said, how unsafe is it the way it is?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would test firing it not be a good idea?

I would not shoot it with a loose slide, you don't want it flying off when it cycles.

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My thoughts exactly. Thank you.

A worn or cracked rail on the slide or frame can cause it to be loose too. Either way I wouldn't trust it.

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Thats basically what i said. We found it goin thru a recently deceast family members stuff. Im gonna disassemble and dispose if it. Appreciate it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would a new slide in theory, correct the issue?

It may correct it if the problem is in the slide. If it's the frame then a new slide would fit the same, loose!

I don't think they're worth putting money into. A stripped replacement slide is $57 plus shipping. The gun isn't worth much more than that.

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Understood.