TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer

I have a Thompson arms model 1911 .40 S&W. It will not chamber

Customer Question

I have a Thompson arms model 1911 .40 S&W. It will not chamber a round for some reason. Unpolished the ramp with blue majic metal polish to no effect.
That is all I know to do.
If i work the action by hand it will seemingly chamber the roind bit if i lock the slid back and then insert the magazine it will not push the round in. The round stops about 1/3rd of the way into the chamber.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM replied 6 months ago.
Hi,Polishing the chamber, especially the top, the ramp on the barrel and the breech face along with the frame ramp should help. There is usually a sharp edge where the barrel ramp meets the chamber on the bottom. Use a needle file to break the edge down and then polish it. It will help to prevent 3 point jams which is when the round jams against the breech face, top of chamber and the bottom edge of the chamber. I would also replace the recoil spring with an extra power spring. Wolff gun springs are excellent. Use a 20 lb spring.'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#3If you are using reloads make sure you use a "factory crimp" die. It re-sizes the round while crimping and eliminates any bulges from seating the bullet. Let me know how you make out with it. Tom