TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

What does a [email protected] 38 cal 5 shot victor with side load, double

Customer Question

what does a [email protected] 38 cal 5 shot victor with side load, double lock hammer worth.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM replied 8 months ago.
Hi,What is the serial number of your gun? What is the barrel length? By "side load" do you mean it has a swing out cylinder?Do you have any pictures that you can attach? Use the paperclip icon to attach them. Tom
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Serial number of the Gun is 10498 Victor 38***@******.*** shot . Has A 2 Inch barrel length. It does not have a swing out cylinder. I have pictures but can not for some reason att. to this doc.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if you can sent me a email address I will have a better chance to sent pictures
Expert:  TOM replied 8 months ago.
Hi,I figured out what you have. It is a Harrington and Richardson "Victor" solid frame revolver. The caliber is 38 S&W. I believe it takes the 38 S&W Long, but I would only use the 38 S&W Short cartridges in it. There is less pressure which makes it much safer to fire.Victor is the brand name used on the H&R American and Young American Double Action series of revolvers. Brand name means it was sold in Hardware Stores as the store brand, the same as Sears had the "Ted Williams" brand guns.The Victor was made from 1913 to 1936. It was available with a 2 1/2" or 4 1/2" barrel, (measured to the cylinder) in 38 S&W, 32 S&W and 22 Rimfire. There were 3 frame sizes, Large for 38 and 32 calibers, medium for 32 caliber and small for 22 caliber. It has a round barrel, unfluted cylinder and a pull pin cylinder release. Values for a private party sale from the BlueBook of Gun Values are:100%-$195100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%$195 $175 $155 $125 $110 $95 $85Expect 30% to 40% less as a trade in. % is based on the amount of original finish left and the mechanical condition. Tom