TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer

If a Ruger 9mm gun using a full metal copper jacket bullets

Customer Question

if a Ruger 9mm gun using a full metal copper jacket bullets was fired toward the ground (gravel rocks) what would cause the bullet to fragment and if possible could it ricochet from the ground upward and hitting someone thats not standing close to the person that fired. could someone be hit with the bullet jacket fragment
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Kraig Vollmer replied 7 months ago.

Yes a bullet could hit some one that was not standing close to person firing the gun. Because once the bullet leaves the barrel and hits a hard surface there is no way to control were it will go once the bullet gets deformed there is no way you can know what direction it is going to go.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what cause the bullet to fragment?

The velocity that the bullet is going. Like for example a .357 Magnum 140 grain going 1300 FEET PER SECOND. It is going so fast that the Jacket is not strong enough to stay together. With the momentum the bullet had leaving the barrel.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if this incident occurred in this manner would that be an unintentional act or considered direct homicide. and treated as murder

That I don't know if it would be considered direct homicide or if it would be considered involuntary man slotter like a DWI if the drunk driver kills some one.

I hope the information I gave is helpful I thought that I had spelled in voluntary wrong I did but I did not see were I had as one word in stead of two. I hope this helps you out. Please give me a good feed back so that I can earn my income.