Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

Is the 0 grade the same as the VH? 12 gauge s/n 40139 30"

Customer Question

Is the 0 grade the same as the VH?
JA: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.
Customer: Parker 12 gauge s/n 40139 30" barrel frame #2 twist barrels and grade 0. but I'm having tough time finding values for 0 grade. The books all start with VH.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?
Customer: straight stock and steel butt plate.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gunsmith about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

I'm grabbing my Parker reference to look up your serial number. Back shortly.

Philip

Based on the serial number, that is a 12 gauge, Grade 0 shotgun with a 30-inch plain twist barrel, a straight-grip stock, a visible hammer, and is opened with a top-lever.

VH is the closest grade to a Grade 0 damascus-barrel hammer gun. VH is Vulcan grade (grade 0) for a steel barrel hammerless gun, though.

The VH hammerless steel-barrel shotgun values are similar to the values for a Grade 0 hammer damascus-barrel shotgun if the gun has 80% of its original finish or better and is in working order. The values for the damascus-barrel shotguns, however, drop off more quickly from the VH pricing as their condition lowers below 80%, and especially precipitously when are below 40%.

I hope this helps.

Philip

Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 8 months ago.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate the answer using the button provided. That will close out the question and allow me to be paid - thanks!

Philip