TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

How do you go about transferring legal guns I purchased from

Customer Question

How do you go about transferring legal guns I purchased from New Jersey to Newfield New York in Tompkins County and guns that were passed down to that I inherited and would like to register? Thank You, John
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Kraig Vollmer replied 1 year ago.

There your guns I don't know why so any people think you need to transfer guns when all your doing is moving it's not like people come around to check and make sure you have what you say you have. When you fill out the 4473 form it gos to some Gov. office. Registering guns is what the anti gun people want so they know who has what. That is one of their first steps when they want to come and take them. I hope this is helpful you can check with some one in the law field I may be wrong every state is not the same.

I was going to say in my first reply that the 4473 form is used to call in to make sure the person buying the gun is not wanted.

Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.

Long guns do not need to be registered in NY with a few exceptions such as AR-15's or what they call assault rifles.

Handguns are all registered in NY. You must have a pistol permit from the county you reside in and each handgun must be added to the permit. In most counties the permit is issued by a judge or the Sheriffs Office and is discretionary. Contact the county courthouse where you are moving to for applications. Do not take a handgun to NY before getting the permit, it is a felony! The following is from the NRA-ILA section on gun laws for NY:

Possession - Handguns

A license is needed to possess a handgun. The application is made to the licensing officer of the city or county where the applicant resides, is principally employed, or where his principal place of business as a merchant or storekeeper is located. An alien may obtain a pistol license if he or she meets these requirements. NY Penal Law § 400(3).

The determination whether to grant the license is completely within the discretion of the licensing officer. However, the licensing officer must state specifically and concisely in writing the reasons for a denial. NY Penal Law § 400.00(4-a). A denial can only be overturned in court if it is shown to be arbitrary and capricious.

Tom