Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
9353784

My name is ***** ***** and I have a double barrel shot gun

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I have a double barrel shot gun with external hammers that I would like to know more about, age, value etc. On the left side hammer plate it is marked "American Gun Co." below that it says "New York". On the left barrel it is marked "Genuine Armory Steel Choke Bored" all in one line. the serial number is ***** this number has been stamped on the barrel, forend, forend latch, receiver, and it likely that the stock is also marked but I did not disasemble to look for it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, I would like to know the origin of this gun is and what it is worth.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Firearms Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yeah sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

It is a 12 gauge correct?

Thanks,

Bill

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

There is not a lot of history available on these shotguns. The early American Gun Co. shotguns were made by Crescent Firearms and distributed by H. & D. Folsom Co. for American Gun Co.

Looking at the history of Crescent Firearms and H & D Folsom and the serial number, it appears that your shotgun was made between 1910 and the early 1920’s.

Crescent Fire Arms Company remains best known as a manufacturer of "house brand" shotguns (i.e., Crescent private labeled guns for retailers, distributors, mail-order houses, etc.). Over 100 different trademarks have been observed to date, manufactured by Crescent. They made good quality economically priced shotguns and rifles.

Here are the current Blue Book values for the Crescent made 12 gauge sxs shotguns:

SxS MODEL -

values below assume standard models with double triggers, extractors, original finish, and 100% working order. Most shotguns feature sidelock actions.

Excellent: $375

Vgood: $290

Good: $250

Fair: $175

I hope this helps,

Bill