Jon
Jon, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Gunsmith, Certified Police Firearms Instructor, Concealed Carry Instructor, Journeyman Machinist and Firearms Enthusiast.
66248244

There are three numbers on my S&W .357, they are as follows:

Customer Question

CHD8395
688-6
612
Can you tell me the significance of these numbers. They are located inside the revolver cylinder. Thanks a lot. Gary
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the question. I will do my best to help. The first number CHD8395 is the serial number of your revolver. Smith and Wesson began transitioning to this serial number type ( three letter prefix followed by four numbers) in the early 1980's. The CHD prefix on your revolver signifies a production date of 1-29-2004 on this revolver. The 688-6 I believe is probably 686-6 if you look very close. The 686 is the model number of this revolver. The -6 signifies your revolver is the 6th variation of the Model 686. With each change of the design of the model 686 the suffix is numerically increased one number (686-1, 686-2, 686-3, 686-4 and so on). The 612 number is ***** likely a number used in the manufacturing process and has no significates that I am aware of. Let me know if I can be of any more help

Thank you,

Jon