Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

Recently purchased cz scorpion evo3 s1.have reviewed options

Customer Question

recently purchased cz scorpion evo3 s1.have reviewed options for sbr,but decided to keep as a pistol.would like to make this legaly more shootable,i have seen many with ar buffer tubes for cheek resting however the sight picture on this pistol really requires somewhat of a drop down. ie.as the factory stock does.is it legal for me tomake a shortdrop device as in a bent down buffer tube or something that would ultimately in effect end up with something like the factory stock cut off at the drop down for cheek resting[and yes I understand this specificly is not a legal option]
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

The only option I see is to apply for a short-barreled-rifle tax-stamp and then installing the Sig-Sauer Stabilizing Brace using an adapter for such purpose. You don't need a tax stamp to use the brace as only an arm brace. You must wait for the tax stamp to arrive before using the brace as a shoulder stock legally. Contact a local Class III dealer near you to apply for the tax stamp and check with them about any state or local laws that may also apply.

With the brace up against your shoulder, like a stock, you can rest your cheek on the brace for sighting purposes.

Here is a video showing the Scorpion being used with the brace as just a brace and then as a short stock. Skip to 5:55 into the video:

Link to video

I hope this helps.

Philip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks if I sbr do I have to get 922 r compliance. More of nuisance than a problem

Yes, the 922 r compliance would be an issue, since it would then be a rifle. However, there is a 922 r kit for that gun.

Turns out that CZ has a 922 r compliance kit, that includes a pistol grip and a folding stock for that pistol to turn it into an SBR. Here is information on that. I would contact CZ about availability. You need the stamp and probably a gunsmith should do the conversion once you have the stamp and kit, if you want to go that route.

Link to kit

Philip

If you are satisfied with my answer, please use the button to rate my answer - that closes out the question and also allows me to be paid. Thanks!