ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Certified Firearms Instructor and Glock Certified Armorer.
30945867

I have what appears to be an 1869 over/under caplock rifle.

Customer Question

I have what appears to be an 1869 over/under caplock rifle. There is a nameplate on the stock with the name E.T Farmer on it but I presume that is the owners name. The barrel has A.Buselmeier,Healdsburg,cast steel..1869 is also stamped on it. I'm curious to find out about its history and value...Thanks for your time
Category: Firearms
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, and thank you for your question...
If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website pays me for my work on your question. The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless.
This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating.
If you have trouble with the rating system, simply reply back with “excellent service, good service, etc.”
A few days after receiving your answer, the website will send you a brief customer satisfaction survey. Please take a moment to complete that, as those high scores are what allows me to be able to help future customers.
Answer:
Anselem Buselmeier was a gunsmith who was born in Baden, Germany, in 1840 (or 1843 according to some sources). He arrived in Quincy, Illinois, sometime after 1860 and made firearms there. He then left Quincy, moving to San Francisco by 1865, and later to Healdsburg, California, by 1867. In 1877 he relocated to Ukiah, California and then in 1878 he moved to Roseville, Oregon. He died in 1884
His time in Healdsburg, Ca. matches the time frame on your rifle. I would imagine that E.T. Farmer was a previous owner of the gun, and who the gun was made for. Having a nameplate on a gun was fairly common for the time period.
I could only find one reference to a firearm made by him. I'm sure that there were others over the years, but how many may still exist is unknown.
Since he was a fairly small, local gun maker, there isn't enough documented sale evidence to give an absolute value to your firearm. As an educated guess,I would say that $200 to $300 would be a fair price for your rifle. Sadly, there isn't much interest in guns like this, other than being used as decorations or treasured as pieces of Americana.
I hope that this is helpful!
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Do you need anything further on this?
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
If you don't have any further questions about this, please remember to complete a positive rating on your screen so that we can close the question out.
Thanks,
Jim