Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
9353784

I have a double barrel shotgun with name American Gun Co and

Customer Question

I have a double barrel shotgun with name American Gun Co and Serial # *****
Any idea what year it was made and how can I get a manual or something to guide in disassembly and etc Just want to clean it well.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
Is this a hammerless or does it have outside hammers?
Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has outside hammers
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Thank you...
Can you tell me what gauge it is?
How long are the barrels?
Any other stampings would be helpful also.
Sorry for all the questions but I have to identify it to age it.
Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, should have thought of that. It's a 12 gage, 32 inch barrels. The only markings are "American Gun Comp. New York" and appears serial number is ***** Stock has no cracks at all, gun is slightly rusted. Breach is slightly loose, but not really bad. Appears to have been in my family since new. I actually used it for hunting when I was a teenager in 60s. Just want to give it some TLC, take it completely apart and clean, oil and etc. (reason for finding a schematic or parts picture). Little concerned with springs etc. Would like to shoot it, but have heard modern shells may be too high power for it and should look to find some lower power shells. Could you suggest anything here as well?
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
The shotguns sold by American Gun Co. were manufactured by Crescent Firearms Co. and distributed by H. & D. Folsom Co.
There aren't any schematics to be found for this model shotgun. They were made for the working man so he could hunt and not pay a fortune for his gun, which doesn't mean they aren't built well. They are built well, but low brass ammo should be used until you can get a gunsmith to look at it to make sure it will take a high brass shell. If it has damascus barrels (looks like it spirals down the barrel) then only shoot low brass. If it has fluid steel barrels it should be good to shoot regular loads. You should probably take it to a gunsmith and just let him look at it (the action) to tell you whether it is okay to use regular modern loads or not.
To give it a good cleaning break the action open and separate the barrels from the action. Spray the workings good with WD-40 or equivelent and gently blow out with compressed air. If you feel you need to open up the action, make sure you take a picture of it in different stages so you have a ref. when you go to put it back together. It isn't that complicated once you get into it. Just have a clean place to lay everything out and remember how it came apart. You shouldn't need to do a deep cleaning unless it is really dirty and gritty inside. The WD-40 should loosen the varnishes built up from drying oil, so let it soak a while before blowing it out. When it's all blown out wipe off everything, then spray lightly with Rem Oil or equivelent.
In good condition, it should be worth around $200-$250. You can remove the light rust on the outside safely with 0000 steel wool and keeping it wet with WD-40. Wiping off crud frequently and re-applying WD-40 before lightly scrubbing with the steel wool.