ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Certified Firearms Instructor and Glock Certified Armorer.
30945867

I HAVE PURCHASED A WINCHESTER MODEL94 LEVER ACTION 38.55 CALIBER,

Customer Question

I HAVE PURCHASED A WINCHESTER MODEL94 LEVER ACTION 38.55 CALIBER, SN: 48884884 (I BELIEVE) STAMPED ON THE UNDERSIDE AT THE END OF THE BREACH. I QUERIED A WINCHESTER CLUB AND IT SEEMS THE WEAPON WAS MANUFACTURED IN 1894. FOR IT'S AGE IT IS IN FINE CONDITION. I CANNOT FIND MANY MODEL 94'S ONTHE INTERNET. IS THERE ANY OTHER INFORMATION? I WANT TO INSURE IT IF IT IS VALUABLE ENOUGH.
THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE K GATES COL USA RET
Category: Firearms
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, The Winchester model 94 was one of the most popular firearms ever made. What specific information do you need to know?Jim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Value for insurance purposes and value for resale. Why are so many Model 85 's on the market and so few Model 94's.
And any thing else you feel important.Cheers KG
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
You may see few 94's on the market as people tend to hang on to them.
Can you please confirm the serial number? I think you may have one too many numbers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The SN is difficult to decipher for some numbers. Try(###) ###-#### ***** last digit (underline) may be a scratch.
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
That serial number would come back to a model 94 made in 1980....are you sure about those numbers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm not.SN: _888478 is what i deciphered but the under score is a guess. It could be a scratch, a 1, or a 4. The 4 (third from the end) is somewhat iffy but a blank doesn't make sense. The rest of the numbers are readable
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I would need the exact serial number in order to give you the value....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it were a repro of the Model 94 what would it be worth. I cannot imagine the serial numbers as messed up if it were produced in 1980. But then again in could have had rough use. There are some other numbers on the side of the breach SN: VT0030334P This SN was made with steel dies and is faint.A last attempt at the manufacturer's SN:888478
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
If it were a repro or commemorative model, value would be perhaps $300-$500. We really need to determine the actual serial number. Why did the Winchester club think that it was made in 1894?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read the serial number as(###) ###-####and gave the caliber as 38.55. I believe I should go to the gun shop who can contact the previous owner to learn how long the weapon was in the family and the history as he or she knows it. And perhaps I can come back to you for another session. I'm not sure what added expertise I get for the $30 odd I've sunk into the search but unless I can get more info I think we should close out this session. You've given me several avenues to follow. Thanks for your effortsPs How do I close the account
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
If you want, you can leave the question open until you get more info. Then you can reply back again....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really. I just want to close the account and pay the $30 or so to settle the bill. I will find the history of ownership from the previous owner and based on his or her response determine my next move.thanks
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
OK, understood. If you complete a positive rating for my assistance today(on your screen now), that will close out the question.
Thank you,
Jim