TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

I have a model 1873 (stamped behind hammer) octagon, King's imrov. pat. March 29, 186

Customer Question

I have a model 1873 (stamped behind hammer) octagon, King's imrov. pat. March 29, 1866, Oct. 16, 1860, 32 w.c.f., ser. no. 255247B. Seems in very good cond. The slide chamber cover is loose and slides back and forth freely! Is this normal, and if broke, what's the fix? Now the big one, How much (rough estimate) is it worth? Thanks for any info. Semper Fi, Rick
Category: Firearms
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. I assume that you are talking about the dust cover? Here's some info on that from the model 1873 manual - "The Model 1873 has a dust cover on top of thereceiver designed to help keep the receiver clean.Slide the dust cover forward, which is the closedposition, when the rifle is not in use. The dust coverdoes not need to be manually slid to the rearward,open position prior to shooting the rifle, it will openwhen the lever is cycled".
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Is your dust cover doing something other than that?
Expert:  ProShooter replied 1 year ago.
Rick,
Do you still need assistance with this question?
Jim