Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
9353784

Have a m 100 308 winchester auto can u make it shoot

Customer Question

have a m 100 308 winchester auto can u make it shoot 300wshortmag new barrel sum action work
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
The travel of the action is right, and with some bolt work, and maybe a urethane recoil buffer installed, I don't see why not. Problem is, I'm not sure how long the receiver and bolt will last. There is a considerable increase in chamber and linear pressure from the .308 to the .300 WSM. The chamber dia. is increased and the bolt face has to be enlarged. However, if you kept a close eye on the receiver and barrel for stress cracks, I think you could make it work. Just remember that the ballistics for the .300 WSM are the same as for the .300 Win. Mag., so there is a lot more pressure on the locking lugs. If it is an old/highly used action you might think about having it zyglowed/penetrant inspected for stress cracks. It would suck to have the locking lugs give up...
I hope that helps,
Bill