TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

IHAVE ALREADY ASKED AND PAID IN FULL BUT NO NOTHING I ASKED

Customer Question

IHAVE ALREADY ASKED AND PAID IN FULL BUT NO NOTHING I ASKED HAVE A M100 WINCHESTER {308CAL} WOULD NEW BARREL AND SUM ACTION WORK SHOOT 300WIN EASY STUFF . AND I SEE MY EXPERT IS IN LAW ENFORCMENT MY WHOLE FAMILY IS IN FED LAWENFORCMENT THE GOLD BADGES THOUGHT I MITE GOT A LITTLE BREAK ON PRICE FROM ONE LAWDOG TO LAWDOG
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The Model 100 action is too short for a 300 Winchester Magnum. The magazine is also too short. The overall length of a 308 is 2.800", a 300 Magnum is 3.340", a 1/2" difference. It can not be done. Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what a bout 300 wsm shortmag
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.
Hi,It may be possible, but will be very tight. The overall length is 2.860", 0.060" longer than the 308. The diameter is what would really cause a problem. The bolt face would need to be opened to .555" from .473", almost 1/10" and I'm not sure if there is enough bolt face to do it. The magazine needs to have an inside length of 2.875" minimum. If you have a caliper you can measure it. The feed lips would need to be reworked for the wider cartridge. The Barrel would need to be removed to rechamber it, recoil spring replaced with a much heavier one and the gas cylinder would need to be modified because of increased pressure. Depending on the load the pressure increase can be up to 12,000 PSI. The ejection port may need to be opened up too. If there is room on the bolt face and magazine length the cost would be $500 to $600. If the barrel would need to be replaced for some reason add another $300.I don't think it is worth it, but it's up to you. I would really need to see the gun and take it apart to check the bolt and clearance to give a definite answer. Where do you live? If it's not near me I may be able to recommend another gunsmith that I know. Tom