Big River Guns
Big River Guns, Federal Firearms Dealer
Experience:  Many years in gun sales, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, and consulting. Licensed by the ATF.
66637759

I just recently purchased a Churchill (Gun Makers) .30-06 bolt

Customer Question

I just recently purchased a Churchill (Gun Makers) .30-06 bolt action rifle, but can't find anything on the Web in reference to the serial number. According to what info I was able to find it should date from 1959 to 1963. S/N 04455p. Then another marking: NP .30 / 2-1/2 18 tons. There is a symbol above the NP. Are you able to shed some light on this rifle? Any help will be great.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Big River Guns replied 1 year ago.
Churchill in about 1900 was a highly respected maker of best quality shotguns and other grades/types of sporting firearms. As the British firearms industry contracted after WWI and then WWII it was eventually joined with other small firms in an attempt to survive. Churchill was joined into Churchill, Atkin, Grant and Lang which ceased trading about 1980.
Previously imported (until 1988) by Kassnar Imports, Inc. located in Harrisburg, PA. Not affiliated with or to be confused with E.J. Churchill Gunmakers, Ltd.
In late 1988, the Churchill trademark was sold to Ellett Brothers located in Chapin, SC. Yours would have been made at Bury Street London SW1 England and imported. Markings such as NP *30' 2*49" 18 tons and similar are normal from initial manufacture.
Your bolt action .30-06 would be the "Highlander" model and valued as follows:
.30-06 cal., bolt action, 22 in. barrel, thumb safety, no sights, 3 or 4 shot mag., checkered walnut stock, 7 1/2 lbs.
100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$395 $350 $330 $300 $270 $240 $215
Given the serial number of 4455p according to the serial to date list this rifle would have been manufactured in 1962 near the end of the run that year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As it turns out my rifle is sporterized m1917 with a Remington/Enfield action.