Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

I have an old Smith & Wesson .38, 6"barrel. May have been

Customer Question

I have an old Smith & Wesson .38, 6"barrel. May have been in the game warden service many years ago. SN 741310. The barrel has stamp 38/380. This is a 6 shot revolver. The butt of the pistol grip is checkered wood with a swivel strap connector on the bottom. Would like to know when mfd and if it was a military or Warden Service revolver.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.
That 6" barrel doubles the value of that model. Here's the appraisal, with the correct values for the 6" version: June 24, 2015 Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com Manufacturer/Trademark – Smith & WessonModel/configuration – Model 11 (K-200) .38/200 M&P British Service Revolver, .38 S&W cal., with 6 inch bbl., and blue finish. Serial Number – 741310 mfg. circa 1940. Additional Information – .38 S&W cal. only, similar to Model 10, lanyard for military version, limited production, as most were made for British Commonwealth countries. Mfg. 1938-1965. Value Range for 6-inch barrel model - (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):100% - $2,50098% - $2,10095% - $1,80090% - $1,40080% - $1,10070% - $80060% - $400 I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.comSincerely,PhilipThis Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.