TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

I need the action old side by side. Firing pins gone

Customer Question

I need the action for an old side by side. Firing pins gone and can't get one firing pin assembly off
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by needing the "action". The action is the combination of all of the parts in the receiver that make the gun fire.
The best thing for you to do is take the receiver and parts that you have to a gunsmith. Every model has different size and style firing pins and without an old one to use as a pattern the receiver and collar are needed in order to make them to fit your gun.
It sounds like it is an old hammer gun with a collar around the firing pins to hold them in place. If you can not get the second one apart it may need to be drilled out and another collar made too.
Soak the assembly with a good rust remover / penetrating oil to help loosen it up, PB Blaster or Kroil are excellent for freeing up stuck parts.
If you can not get the assembly free, let the gunsmith do it. Most should be able to get it apart without damaging the receiver or collar.
It can be an expensive repair and may not be worth doing. You did not give the make and model of the gun, repairs can cost more than the gun is worth. Without seeing exactly what you have it is hard to estimate what the cost would be, but from ones I have done I would put it at $150 to $175.
Let me know the make and model and if you can, attach a couple of pictures and I should be able to give you a better idea of the price to repair it.
Tom