Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

i have a model 94 winchester 30 30 how do i know age and v

i have a model 94 winchester 30 30 how do i know age and value
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

I need the serial number and I can help you.

Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

25191157

That is way too big of a serial number. Double-check it and let me know.

Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Based on that serial number, your Winchester Model 94 was made in 1962.

The Winchester Model 94 in the serial number range provided is Winchester's Model 1894 lever-action carbine made between 1940-1964 and chambered for .30-30, .32-40, .38-55, .25-35 Winchester, and the .32 Winchester Special. It has a 20 inch round barrel. There is a single band holding the forearm. It has a blued finish and comes with a straight-grip walnut stock. There is no saddle ring.

Retail values:

Excellent: $720-$990
Very Good: $540-$600
Good: $420-$480
Fair: $270-$360
Poor: $240

I hope this helps.

Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its very good shape what would be trade in value

It's just a matter of figuring out the condition - excellent, very good, good, fair, or poor and then using the table above. (Those are retail prices if selling to another gun owner, so a dealer would offer you probably around 20% less if you sold to him.)

Here is how you can determine condition for a modern gun, such as yours (made after 1898):

Excellent- the gun must have at least 95% of the original finish on the metal, stock and grip. The gun must be in 100% working order and in 100% original factory condition without refinishing, repair, alterations, or additions of any kind. The gun's sights must also be factory original.

Very good - the gun must have at least 80% of the original finish on the metal, stock and grip and be in working order. The gun must be 100% original factory original, but may have small repairs, alterations, or non-factory additions. No refinishing is permitted.

Good - the gun must have 60% finish on the wood and metal, but may display evidence of old refinishing. Small repairs, alterations, and non-factory additions are sometimes found. Factory replacement parts are permitted. The overall working condition of the firearm must be good, as well as safe. The bore may exhibit some wear or corrosion.

Fair - the gun must have at least 20% finish on the metal and wood. Guns with repairs, non-factory additions, alterations, or with recent refinishing fall into this category. The gun must be in working order.

Poor - the gun has little or no finish (under 20%), pitting and rust will be visible, and the gun may not be in working order or even safe to shoot. Guns in this category are mostly good for their spare parts and not much else.

Philip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is the value of a Wetherby Mark IV deluxe 300 Wetherby mag it is late model no scope. would it be good trade for 30 30 and 500.00 cash

Gene,

Just Answer rules forbid me answering a new question on an existing question thread. You would need to simply start a new question and I can answer that question for you. If you wish to send the question directly to me, you can use this link in your browser to get to my Just Answer page:

http://www.justanswer.com/firearms/expert-philipvancleave/

If you will rate this question, that will close it out and allows me to get paid and then you can then start a new question on the Weatherby.

Philip
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience: Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
Gene,

Thank you for the positive feedback on the question about the Model 94. Please keep Just Answer and me in mind should you have any future firearms-related questions.

If you wish to send me a question directly, you can use this web address:

(No need to respond to this post.)

Philip