ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Certified Firearms Instructor and Glock Certified Armorer.

i have a 16 gauge single shot break open shotgun it is marked

i have a 16 gauge single shot break open shotgun it is marked continental arms and has no serial number i bought it in the 90's from a guy in his 70's who said his granddad bought it when he was a kid any ideas?
Good morning,

What you have there is known as a trade gun, or hardware gun. Continental Arms was a trade name, and from what I can see it was attributed to the Marshall-Wells Hardware company of Duluth, Minnesota. The time period for your gun is late 1800's to very early 1900's.

These were utility shotguns, made of average quality for the everyman. They were inexpensive during their day, and value today is more in being a decoration or wall hanger than a functional shotgun. Even if functional, retail procing on these guns is never more than $100.00. In reviewing some recent auctions, I saw some sell for $16 and $35. It is not suggested to try to fire a gun like this, as they may not be able to handle modern ammo.

I hope that this was helpful. Please remember to rate my answer favorably & submit that rating if you were satisfied with my assistance. Without that, I cannot be compensated by Just Answer for my work on your question. This rating does not cost you anything extra.