ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Certified Firearms Instructor and Glock Certified Armorer.
30945867

I have an old J. Stevens Arms Company single shot shotgun that

I have an old J. Stevens Arms Company single shot shotgun that I got from my Dad, but I don't know if it's a 10 gauge or a 12 gauge. After breaking the shotgun down, I found the following; KZ 785 stamped on the stock, and also on the barrel. The shotgun is a break open model with a hammer (but no shell extractor). On the inside of the receiver (left side) is stamped "Z X". Does this mean anything?

ProactiveShooters :

Good evening,

ProactiveShooters :

How are you tonight/

Customer:

Hi. OK..Do you need any further info?

ProactiveShooters :

Well...are any of these letters inside of a circle, possibly near the trigger guard?

Customer:

No, the letters were stamped on the inside of the stock under the barrel and also on the barrel. No stampings by or near the trigger guard.

ProactiveShooters :

Ok, that's what I thought.

ProactiveShooters :

What you are seeing are nothing more than production and assembly numbers.

ProactiveShooters :

They're just there to help during the assembly process....they help to mark certain parts or something else about the gun.

Customer:

There are no other stampings externally, which would indicate the gauge of the shotgun.

ProactiveShooters :

That is odd, as there should be a number there somewhere. What happens sometimes is that the numbers get sworn down with use and age...it may be there but just very hard to see.

ProactiveShooters :

worn* down, not sworn

Customer:

There is a stamping on the left side of the barrel "barrel and lug forged in one piece". I measured the barrel; it's 30 inches. The stamping is very clear to read.

ProactiveShooters :

no info about a model number at all?

Customer:

No

ProactiveShooters :

interesting....

ProactiveShooters :

what is the barrel length?

Customer:

I also found the stamping "ECPT" as you break open the barrel, viewing the shotgun from the left side (as it is open). This stamping is on the lug. Barrel is 30 inches.

ProactiveShooters :

If it has a 30 inch barrel, it should be a model 94

ProactiveShooters :

This is not a good pic, but does it look like this?

Customer:

Overall length is 45 inches. Yes it does.......Pic is ok

ProactiveShooters :

The model 94 came in 12, 16, 20, 28 ga., or .410 bore

Customer:

Do you have any idea what year (or obo) this shotgun is?

ProactiveShooters :

They started making the model 94 in 1929, but year records weren't kept.

ProactiveShooters :

On some Stevens double barrel shotguns, a date code was used from 1949 through 1970, but that date code wasn't used on single shot shotguns

Customer:

OK.......Thanks. that clears up a lot of confusion.......I've been racking my brains trying to find info on this shotgun.........I suppose 12 gauge shells, 2 &3/4 lead shot would work or can I use "bismith" shells?

ProactiveShooters :

I guess you could use either, but I would really first suggest having a gunsmith check the gun to see what the gun can handle. There may be some wear that would prevent shooting it at all.

ProactiveShooters :

The Bismuth shells would be a good starting point though...you'll get lead performance and no nasty toxic disadvantages.

Customer:

Ok.....Thanks for your help...........On these old guns, serial numbers were not there, and J. Stevens Arms was acquired by Savage. and as you said, no records were kept.

ProactiveShooters :

Correct, and serial numbers werent event required until the Gun Control Act of 1968

Customer:

Again, thank you for your help......you filled in a lot of blank spaces that my Dad couldn't answer.

ProactiveShooters :

My pleasure! If you are satisfied with my work, please remember to accept and rate my answer favorably, so tha I can be credited by Just Answer for my work.

ProactiveShooters :

and have a great night!

Customer:

OK!!!!!!!!!