Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.

I have a 16ga HSBC & Russo Co, Chicago patent pending 1913

I have a 16ga HSBC & Russo Co, Chicago patent pending 1913 gun. Visited Flint Gun Shop in Flint, Indiana and could not find it in his gun book. Suggested I try looking for it as an antique. Any info on this gun?
Thank you for using Just Answer!

Are there any other markings on that gun at all? Is it a single or double-barrel? Remove the barrels and look for markings on the areas on the frame and barrels that were hidden when the barrels were attached.

If you have photos, you can attach them to your response using the paper clip icon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The gun is at Flint Gun Shop now getting the firing pin fixed. The only other marking was a (if I remember correctly) Serial #197 with I think something like TK after it.

It's a single barrel.

Crescent Fire Arms Co. sold guns under the HSBC brand name (Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. was a hardware store based in Chicago, Il.)

You should have the Crescent Single-Shot shotgun. They have an exposed hammer, a pistol grip stock, and are chambered in either 12, 16, 20, 28, or .410 with 26, 28, 30, or 32 inch barrels and a variety of chokes.

Retail values for the 16 gauge model:

Excellent: $140-$205
Very Good: $100-$120
Good: $80-$90

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the positive feedback on your question about your HSBC shotgun. Please keep Just Answer and me in mind should you have any future firearms-related questions.

If you wish to send me a question directly, you can use this web address:

(No need to respond to this post.)