Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
9353784

I have a US Army 1826 Springfield musket, converted from flintlock

I have a US Army 1826 Springfield musket, converted from flintlock to caplock, with original ramrod. It is 39 1/2 in length. I believe it to be all original and in good condition. Just looking for a rough estimate of its value. thank you.
Hi, I would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
The Model 1816 Flintlock Musket - (types I to III) - .69 caliber; Markings: on lockplate eagle over "US" forward of cock, "SPRINGFIELD/(date)(1826) on tail. Barrel tang also bears the date, and barrel should show proofmarks on upper left side near breech. 350,000 total production. Despite the large numbers produced, most were altered to percussion during the 1850's. Most done by the "cone-in-barrel" (what the arsenal so called) method. Many of these were altered again during the American Civil War, usually with a "Patent Breech", and were then altered, rifled and sighted. Apparently they altered some by cutting off the barrel and rifling, then sighting.
This info and these values are from the latest edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms:
Altered to percussion: Vgood: $900, Good: $500, Fair: $350, Poor: $200
thank you...

Bill