Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

What would be the value of my Winchester Model 94 Golden Spike

What would be the value of my Winchester Model 94 Golden Spike Commemorative? Rarely out of the box and never fired. All paper work included. Thanks very much.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

The Winchester Golden Spike Carbine Commemorative was made in 1969. The serial number has a "GS" prefix and serial numbers run from 1 to 69996.

The gun is a Model 94 carbine chambered only in .30-30. It has a 20 inch barrel with 2 barrel bands plated with yellow gold, a yellow gold receiver, is engraved with a decorative scrolled border on the right side, has a railroad spike flanked by 1869 and 1969 on the left side and with satin finished American walnut straight-grip stock.

The original issue price back in 1969 was $120.

Assuming it has never been fired (better yet if it hasn't even been cocked, which could scratch the hammer), here are the values (69,996 made):

Blue Book (2012): $850 (retail)
Modern Gun Values (2011): $1,295 (retail)
Standard Catalog of Firearms (2012): $900 (retail)

As you can see, the resources differ in the value, but that gives you a range. I am skeptical of the $1,295. The other two are close. I usually look to see if two of the three are close to determine the most reasonable pricing.

I hope this helps. If you are satisfied with the answer, please click the "accept" button. Thanks!

Philip
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks very much.
Chuck,

Thanks for the "accept" on the Winchester Golden Spike question. If you have any future firearms questions, please consider using Just Answer and me again.

Philip