Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
9353784

I have a .38 S&W .38 special CTG, serial number D128547, it

I have a .38 S&W .38 special CTG, serial number D128547, it is in excellent condition, and do not believe it has ever been fired? can u tell me when this gun was manufactured and an appx. value in today's market?
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
Can you tell me how long the barrel, measuring from the end of the barrel to the front face of the cylinder, please? And can you tell me what is stamped on the yoke when you open up the cylinder?
Thank you,
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the barrell from end to edge of cyl is 3 3/4 inches

inside the yoke is model 10-5

Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that info.
According to the serial number it was made in 1969-1970.
The Smith & Wesson Model 10 (.38 Military & Police) - This model has been in production in one configuration or another since 1899. It was always the mainstay or the S&W line and was originally known as the .38 Military and Police Model. The Model 10 is built on the "K" frame , or medium frame, and was always meant as a duty gun. It was offered with a 2", 3", 4", 5", or 6" barrel. Currently only the 4" and 6" are available. A round or square butt is offered. It is chambered for the .38 Special and is offered in blue or nickel-plate, with checkered walnut grips. The model designation stamped on the yoke 10-5 means Model 10, and the 5 means the last change in 1962 was the screw in front of trigger guard eliminated on heavy barrel model.
Grading:
NIB: $500, Exc.: $300, Vgood: $200

This info was comprised from the 2012 Standard Catalog of Firearms and the Blue Book of Gun Values.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THE INFO YOU GAVE IS FINE, BUT I KNOW FOR A FACT IT WAS MADE BEFORE 1969-1970, I THINK MY FATHER RECEIVED IT IN 1966,

Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Ok, well...
I looked it up in the serial number chart and it said from serial number D90,001 – D330,000 was 1969-1970. The D- serial numbers didn't start until 1968. It also said that the year could be off up to one year in the listings. In 1966-1967 the serial number ranges for the "K" frames were from C810,533 – C999,999. After that they changed to the "D" prefix on the serial numbers. The serial number range for 1968 is D1 – D90,000. It could have been made close to 1968. They said it could be up to a year off, so..

That's all I can go from...pretty close.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, Gunsmith
Experience: 40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.