TOM308
TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience:  16 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER
47830436

Which best replica can easily be converted to shoot real ammo,

Customer Question

Which best replica can easily be converted to shoot real ammo, and how?
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

I assume that you are talking about replica cap & ball pistols being converted to fire metallic cartridges. I hear good things about Uberti and Ruger cap & ball pistols. Most of these just require replacing the cylinder and having the fitting done by a gunsmith. If you want a more extravagant conversion you can have a loading gate installed and ejector rod installed in your replica. Make sure to always use a steel frame replica (no brass frames) and follow the cylinder manufacturers recommendations for the loads. Most of these cylinders are rated for blackpowder or black powder equivalent cartridges. You can also purchase these replicas with the conversion completed. Here are a couple of links that might help you.

www.bufaloarms.com

www.brownells.com

www.fiveshot.org/guests/r&dreview.htm

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, looking at your answer I guess I should not have used the word replica, but 'blank firing gun' instead. Like Umarex and Walther semi automatic 9mm guns
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Oh ok, No problem.

I strongly suggest that you do not attempt to convert any "blank firing gun" to fire actual ammunition of any kind. Any attempt to do so is extremely unsafe and has the potential to cause great bodily harm or death the shooter and by standards. These "blank firing" guns are designed to fire blank ammunition alone. These "blank firing" guns lack the structural integrity needed to contain the pressures associated with real ammunition. These replica blank guns are made of low strength alloy metals and other light weight materials. The chamber and barrel pressures alone would be more than enough to cause one of these blank guns explode! Not only that, but the frames, slides, springs and other parts would not be able to withstand the recoil and other forces created by firing actual ammunition. A project like this would most certainly end up being hazardous to you health. I hope this answered your question. Have a great day!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your answer, but what you answered is what I find all over the internet. (not helpful)
Of the helpful info I found is that there are some that are ideal to convert since they are made like the real guns (in hard steel) just with a welded piece in the barrel. An example I found was the Cuno Melher ME-38 and Kora Brno alarm guns. Others I found that were suitable are Brocock magnum. There was an article from Britain were reporters bought an air gun, went to the hardware store for a drill and regular drill bit to drill the barrel and did some other modification they didnt want to disclose and were shooting real ammo in 15 minutes.
So back to my original question, there are guns out there (alarm guns) that are made out of solid steel just like the brand they copy that can easily be modified. I wanted to know which brand / model is the best suitable and what exactly do you have to do? (drill the barrel out, replace cylinder? etc. Thanks
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Again I strongly recommend shooting real ammunition only in real guns made to do so. I am going to Opt out of this question and let another expert answer this for you. Maybe one of the other experts can give you the answer you are looking for. Have a great day!
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

There are no blank firing guns made to handle the pressure created by firing real ammo and modifying one to do so is dangerous. Just because some one did it, does not mean it was safe to do. I do NOT recommend trying to convert any blank gun. There are many grades of steel and the barrels on blank guns are not made with a high quality product. You can injure yourself and any bystanders. Buy a gun made to shoot modern ammo if you want to shoot modern ammo.

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!