TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

What is the year and value of my Iver Johnson American Bulldog

What is the year and value of my Iver Johnson American Bulldog .44 caliber 2.5" octogon barrell SN 1024. Thanks Tony.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM replied 4 years ago.

You have a Second Model American Bulldog. It was manufactured from 1885 to 1899 in 22 rimfire, 32 and 38 rimfire and centerfire and 44 Webley or 44 Bulldog. It was made in a small, medium and extra large frame version with an octagon barrel. The finish is nickel plated with hard rubber grips. The barrel lengths are 2.25", 2.5", and 2 7/16". The medium frame had barrels up to 4.5". The values are:

excellent-$450, very good-$325, good-$250, fair-$175, poor-$100

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This revolver has wooden checkered grips with a picture of a bulldog on it. Does this change the value? Is it still a second model American Bulldog?

Thanks. Tony

Expert:  TOM replied 4 years ago.

They should have the Bulldog, but there is no mention of wood grips. I double checked the Blue Book and Standard Catalog of Firearms and neither mention wood. That doesn't mean they were not a standard grip. The hard plastic are the most common and that is what is listed in the books.

It is still a second model, you can add $25 for the wood grips. They are not an expensive item and may have been cheaper than the plastic at the time your gun was made.

Tom