Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.

I have just inherited a Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891 Serial

I have just inherited a Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891 Serial Number S4961. The serial number is XXXXX on the barrel twice and the same number is XXXXX on the wood stock as well. Appears to be in great shape with some dings in the stock. What is it worth?
[email protected]
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
The Argentine Mauser M1891 Rifle - This rifle was made in germany with a 29.1" barrel and 5-round magazine. Full stock with straight grip with half-length upper handguard. Rear sight V-notch. Chambered for the 7.65X53mm cartridge. Marked with Argentine crest on receiver ring. Most Model 1891 Mauser rifles found in the U.S. will have the crest ground off the top of the receiver. This was done by Argentina when they were sold as surplus in the 60's. These values are for matching ser. #'s.
Exc.: $400, Vgood: $300, Good: $250
Add 100% for rifles with an intact Argentine crest.
This info was taken from the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have looked at some pictures of this rifle on the internet and mine looks slightly different. It does not have a wooden portion over the barrel and the wooden stock is shorter. It does not have a place to put the cleaning rod. It does NOT appear that the wooden stock has been altered though. It looks original.
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Although it may look like it has not been altered, it has been "sporterized". Most of the sporterized rifles have had the bolt forged (bent down) also to clear a scope that is usually mounted. The original bolt is sticking straight out sideways when in the closed position.
The original rifle is exactly as I described in the first post. Whoever did the work did a great job. My son's first big rifle was a Sporterized Argentine Mauser. One of the best Mauser actions there are as far as quality and workmanship. The alteration only affects the "collector values". It increases the hunting market values. I would say it is worth approx. the same value. Not as a collector item, but as a "street value". The Mauser action alone is worth $300 to a custom rifle builder. I would buy it for that in a second just for the action.
Thank you,