Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
9353784

What is the approximate value of a 1909 Colt 45 serial # XXXXX

What is the approximate value of a 1909 Colt 45 serial # XXXXX in good condition (no rust, some pitting, complete, will fire, inlaid handle grips). Looks like a tiny horse in front of the outline of a tiny fat submarine embossed in the steel on the left side between the trigger and the hammer
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
Military Model of 1909, ser. #30000-#50000
Made both in a commercial and military version, this revolver was chambered for the .45 Colt cartridge, fitted with a 5.5" barrel and walnut grips with lanyard swivel. Total military procurement was approx. 20,000 revolvers.
The U.S. Navy Model; "U.S.N. stamped on butt, ser. #30000-#50000 - Exc.: $3500, Vgood: $2000, Good: $1000, Fair: $350

The U.S. Marine Corps Model 1909; "U.S.M.C." stamped on butt, ser. #30000-#50000 - Exc.: $4500, Vgood: $2750, Good: $1350, Fair: $650

This info was taken from the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms.
Some info to grade by:
NRA MODERN CONDITION DESCRIPTIONS
New - not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.
Perfect - in new condition in every respect, may have previously been sold at retail.
Excellent - near new condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing
near perfect (except at muzzle or sharp edges).
Very Good - in perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion
or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.
Good - in safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion
or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.
Fair - in safe working condition, but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts
or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion
pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Mine is the US Army version. Do you have a price range for it?

I'd guess condition is somewhere between good and very good.

Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, John.
U.S. Army Model of 1909, #30000-#50000 - Exc.: $3000, Vgood: $1500, Good: $925
A total of about 18,000 were produced for the U.S. Army.

Thanks again,
Bill